The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission says it is carrying out an investigation into failed elective cosmetic surgical procedures conducted by MedContour services.
The commission said this in a statement issued in Abuja on Tuesday and signed by its Chief Executive Officer, Mr Babatunde Irukera.
Irukera said the commission had been inundated with complaints and dissatisfaction with respect to certain elective/cosmetic surgical procedures carried out by the firm.
He said, “The commission’s initial review indicates that there is sufficient probable cause to inquire into the consumer protection aspects of the representations and services of MedContour and its operatives.
“As such, the commission has opened an active investigation into the practices and processes of MedContour, its promoter, associates and employees.”
He said the Act setting up the FCCPC prohibited obnoxious practices, adding that it empowered the commission to act to reduce risk of injury to consumers.